STAY IN THE LOOP
Get the latest landlord news
Whetstone area guide
Whetstone is a charming and diverse area located in the London Borough of Barnet, in North London.
With its rich history, excellent amenities, and strong sense of community, Whetstone has something to offer for everyone, whether you are a homeowner, tenant, or visitor.
In this comprehensive guide, we will explore everything you need to know about Whetstone, including its history, education, amenities, and things to do in the area.
History of Whetstone
Whetstone has a long and fascinating history that dates back to the Roman times. The area was originally a small settlement, but it gradually developed into a residential district in the 19th century.
During the 20th century, Whetstone became a popular area, attracting residents and retailers alike.
Today, Whetstone is still a highly desirable area, known for its exclusive properties and prestigious addresses.
Education in Whetstone
Whetstone has a range of educational institutions that cater to the needs of students of all ages. The area has several primary schools, including All Saints' C of E Primary School and St. John's C of E Primary School.
There are also several secondary schools in the area, including Queen Elizabeth's Girls' School and The Totteridge Academy.
For those looking for higher education, Whetstone has several universities and colleges, including Middlesex University and Barnet and Southgate College.
Amenities in Whetstone
Whetstone has a range of amenities that cater to the needs of residents and visitors. There are several parks and green spaces in the area, including Oakleigh Park and Friary Park, which provide opportunities for outdoor activities and relaxation.
Whetstone is also known for its independent shops and restaurants, including the popular High Road and Oakleigh Road North.
Crime and safety in Whetstone
Whetstone is generally considered a safe area, with crime rates lower than the national average. However, as with any area, there are some areas that are more prone to crime than others.
It is advisable to keep your valuables out of sight and ensure that your home is secure, especially when you are away.
The local police force, Metropolitan Police Service, is committed to keeping the area safe and works closely with the community to prevent crime.
Renting and letting property in Whetstone
Whetstone is an exclusive area with a range of properties available to suit different budgets and lifestyles. The average rent for a one-bedroom flat in the area is around £1,200 per month, while a two-bedroom flat can cost around £1,800 per month.
There are also several houses available for rent, with prices ranging from £2,500 to £5,000 per month.
If you're looking to let a property in Whetstone, it's important to choose a reputable letting agent or property management company to ensure that your property is well-maintained and your tenants are happy.
Things to do in Whetstone
Whetstone has a range of activities and attractions that cater to different interests. Here are some of the top things to do in the area:
- Friary Park: Friary Park is a beautiful park located in Whetstone, offering a range of outdoor activities and relaxation opportunities. The park features a playground, a skate park, a café, and a water feature. It's the perfect place to enjoy a peaceful afternoon.
- The Griffin: The Griffin is a popular and lively pub, located in Whetstone. The pub offers a range of drinks and traditional pub food, making it a popular destination for locals and visitors alike.
- Oakleigh Park Lawn Tennis Club: Oakleigh Park Lawn Tennis Club is a popular and friendly tennis club, located in Whetstone. The club offers a range of facilities, including tennis courts, a clubhouse, and coaching, making it a popular destination for locals and visitors alike.
- Whetstone Stray Allotments: Whetstone Stray Allotments is a community-run allotment site, located in Whetstone. The allotments offer a range of gardening opportunities, making it a popular destination for locals and visitors alike.
- The Whetstone Library: The Whetstone Library is a modern and well-equipped library, located in Whetstone. The library offers a range of services, including book loans, computer access, and events, making it an important part of the local community.
- The Whetstone Golf Club: The Whetstone Golf Club is a popular and well-maintained golf club, located in Whetstone. The club offers a range of facilities, including a golf course, a clubhouse, and coaching, making it a popular destination for locals and visitors alike.
Whetstone is a charming and diverse area in North London, with a rich history and a range of activities and attractions for residents and visitors.
Whether you are looking for a place to live, work, or visit, Whetstone has something to offer for everyone.
Is whetstone London a nice place to live?
Whetstone is generally considered a nice place to live in London, offering a mix of residential areas, local amenities, and good transport links.
What is whetstone famous for?
Whetstone is known for its bustling high street, which features a variety of shops, restaurants, and cafes. It also has a strong sense of community and good schools.
Which part of London is whetstone?
Whetstone is located in the northern part of London, within the London Borough of Barnet.
Which borough is whetstone?
Whetstone is situated in the London Borough of Barnet.