STAY IN THE LOOP
Get the latest landlord news
West Wickham area guide
West Wickham is a charming suburban area located in South East London, within the London Borough of Bromley. Known for its excellent transport links, strong sense of community, and picturesque surroundings, West Wickham has much to offer homeowners, tenants, and visitors alike.
In this comprehensive guide, we will explore everything you need to know about West Wickham, including its history, education, amenities, and things to do in the area.
History of West Wickham
West Wickham has a fascinating history that dates back to the Roman period, with archaeological evidence suggesting that the area was once home to a Roman villa. The area continued to develop throughout the centuries, with the construction of the manor house, West Wickham Court, in the 16th century.
The arrival of the railway in the 19th century led to significant growth and the development of a thriving suburban community.
Today, West Wickham is a bustling and diverse area, with a range of residential properties, retail outlets, and leisure facilities.
Education in West Wickham
West Wickham offers a range of educational institutions catering to students of all ages. The area is home to several primary schools, including Pickhurst Infant Academy, Oak Lodge Primary School, and Wickham Common Primary School. There are also several secondary schools in the area, such as Langley Park School for Boys, Langley Park School for Girls, and Hayes School.
For those seeking higher education, West Wickham is within easy reach of several universities and colleges, including the University of Greenwich, Ravensbourne University London, and Bromley College.
Amenities in West Wickham
West Wickham boasts a range of amenities catering to the needs of residents and visitors. The area is home to several parks and green spaces, including Blake Recreation Ground, Coney Hall Recreation Ground, and High Broom Wood, providing opportunities for outdoor activities and relaxation.
West Wickham is also known for its bustling high street, which offers a diverse range of shops, restaurants, and bars.
Crime and Safety in West Wickham
West Wickham is generally considered a safe area, with crime rates lower than the London average. However, as with any urban area, some neighbourhoods may be more prone to crime than others. It is advisable to be cautious and ensure that your home is secure, especially when you are away.
The local police force, the Metropolitan Police Service, is committed to keeping the area safe and works closely with the community to prevent crime.
Renting and Letting Property in West Wickham
West Wickham offers a diverse range of properties to suit different budgets and lifestyles. The average rent for a one-bedroom flat in the area is around £900 per month, while a two-bedroom flat can cost around £1,200 per month. Houses are also available for rent, with prices ranging from £1,400 to £2,500 per month.
If you're looking to let a property in West Wickham, it's important to choose a reputable letting agent or property management company to ensure that your property is well-maintained and your tenants are happy.
Things to Do in West Wickham
West Wickham has a range of activities and attractions catering to different interests. Here are some of the top things to do in the area:
- Blake Recreation Ground: Blake Recreation Ground is a beautiful and well-maintained park, located in West Wickham. The park offers a range of sports facilities, including football pitches, tennis courts, and a bowling green, making it a popular destination for sports enthusiasts.
- Coney Hall Recreation Ground: Coney Hall Recreation Ground is a picturesque park, located in West Wickham. The park offers a range of walking trails, sports facilities, and stunning views of the surrounding countryside, making it a popular destination for nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts.
- High Broom Wood: High Broom Wood is a beautiful and well-maintained woodland area, located in West Wickham. The area offers a range of walking trails, wildlife spotting opportunities, and stunning views of the surrounding countryside, making it a popular destination for nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts.
- West Wickham Library: West Wickham Library is a modern and well-equipped library, located in West Wickham. The library offers a range of books, DVDs, and other resources, as well as access to computers and free Wi-Fi, making it a popular destination for those looking to study, work, or relax with a good book.
- Wickham Theatre Centre: Wickham Theatre Centre is a popular and well-regarded theatre, located in West Wickham. The theatre hosts a diverse range of productions, including plays, musicals, and children's shows, providing an excellent opportunity for visitors to enjoy the best in live entertainment.
- West Wickham Leisure Centre: West Wickham Leisure Centre is a popular and well-equipped sports facility, located in West Wickham. The centre offers a range of activities, including swimming, gym facilities, and fitness classes, making it a popular destination for sports enthusiasts and those looking to keep fit.
West Wickham is a thriving and diverse area in South East London, offering a range of amenities, educational institutions, and leisure activities for homeowners, tenants, and visitors. With its rich history, strong sense of community, and excellent facilities, West Wickham is an ideal place to live, work, or visit.
Is West Wickham a good area?
West Wickham is indeed a good area popular for its suburban charm and family-friendly environment. Brimming with reputable schools, an array of high-street shops, and plenty of appealing green spaces, it's a favorite among those who prefer a tranquil yet well-connected living locale in Greater London.
Is West Wickham affluent?
Yes, West Wickham is considered to be quite affluent. Its picturesque ambiance, upscale residential properties, and prime location within commuting distance to Central London contribute to its high-living standards.
Is West Wickham in London or Kent?
West Wickham is located within the London Borough of Bromley and is a part of Greater London. However, it has historical connections to Kent, as it was once part of this county before the formation of Greater London in 1965.
Does West Wickham come under Kent?
While West Wickham once came under Kent, it no longer does. Following the London Government Act of 1963, West Wickham was incorporated into Greater London in 1965 and now falls under the jurisdiction of the London Borough of Bromley.