STAY IN THE LOOP
Get the latest landlord news
Uxbridge area guide
Welcome to Uxbridge, a vibrant town in West London. With its rich history, excellent educational institutions, convenient amenities, and diverse attractions, Uxbridge offers an attractive living environment for homeowners, tenants, and a wealth of activities for visitors. This guide will provide you with all the essential information you need to know about Uxbridge.
History of Uxbridge
Uxbridge has a fascinating history that dates back to Saxon times. Its early development was driven by its location on the River Colne, which provided a valuable source of power for milling. Later in history, Uxbridge played an essential role in the Civil War, with several key battles taking place in the area. Today, Uxbridge is a thriving town, with a rich heritage visible in its architecture and culture.
Education in Uxbridge
Uxbridge is home to a diverse range of educational institutions, from primary and secondary schools to colleges and universities. The Hillingdon School is an excellent choice for children up to the age of 18, while the nearby Brunel University in neighbouring Hillingdon is a highly regarded institution known for its academic excellence and research prowess.
Amenities in Uxbridge
Uxbridge offers a wide range of amenities to enhance the quality of life for its residents. The town centre is home to numerous high-street retail chains, offering a variety of products and services for everyday needs and leisure activities. The Intu Uxbridge Shopping Centre is the town's most prominent shopping destination, featuring over 80 stores and restaurants. Uxbridge also has a range of local businesses, contributing to the area's sense of community and providing access to unique products and services.
Crime and Safety in Uxbridge
Uxbridge is known for its relatively low crime rates compared to other parts of London. The local police force works diligently to ensure the safety and security of the area's residents. Measures such as CCTV surveillance and neighbourhood watch schemes are in place to help maintain a safe environment for all.
Renting and Letting Property in Uxbridge
Uxbridge offers a diverse range of rental and letting options to suit different preferences and budgets. From modern apartments to spacious family homes, there is a variety of properties available for tenants and landlords. Local estate agents can help guide homeowners and tenants through the market, providing valuable expertise to ensure a smooth renting or letting experience.
Things to Do in Uxbridge
Uxbridge offers a plethora of attractions and activities for visitors and residents to enjoy. Here are some notable places worth exploring:
- The Battle of Britain Bunker: This unique historical site played a crucial role in the defence of Britain during World War II. Visitors can explore an authentic underground bunker and discover the wartime operations that took place there.
- The Grand Union Canal: This stunning waterway stretches over 137 miles and passes through Uxbridge, providing picturesque walking trails and boating opportunities.
- Hillingdon Trail: Explore the area's natural beauty along the Hillingdon Trail, a 20-mile path through the region's rolling countryside and ancient woodlands.
- Uxbridge Lido: This scenic open-air swimming pool is a popular leisure destination during the warmer months, boasting spectacular views of the surrounding countryside.
- The Pavilions Shopping Centre: This modern shopping complex offers a vast range of stores and restaurants, providing a bustling hub of activity in the heart of Uxbridge.
- Ruislip Woods National Nature Reserve: This vast nature reserve spans over 700 acres and is home to a diverse range of wildlife, offering tranquil walking paths and stunning views.
Please note that availability and events at local attractions may vary, so it is worth checking specific websites or local listings for up-to-date information on opening times and activities.
We hope this guide has provided valuable insights into Uxbridge and everything it has to offer. Whether you are exploring local amenities, considering making Uxbridge your home, or looking for exciting activities, this vibrant town is sure to offer a delightful experience.
Is Uxbridge London a good place to live?
Uxbridge is generally considered a good place to live. It offers a mix of urban and suburban amenities, excellent transport links, and a range of shopping and leisure facilities. The town has a vibrant community with good schools and green spaces, making it attractive for families and professionals.
Is Uxbridge a wealthy area?
Uxbridge is not typically classified as a particularly wealthy area. While it may have some affluent pockets, it is more known for its diverse range of residents and housing options.
Which London Borough is Uxbridge in?
Uxbridge is located in the London Borough of Hillingdon, which is one of the outer boroughs of Greater London.
What is Uxbridge famous for?
Uxbridge is famous for several reasons. It is home to Brunel University, known for its academic reputation. Uxbridge is also known for having the Grand Union Canal running through it, providing picturesque waterways and opportunities for boating and walking. Additionally, Uxbridge played a significant role during World War II, as it housed the headquarters of the RAF Fighter Command.