STAY IN THE LOOP
Get the latest landlord news
Surbiton area guide
Surbiton is a suburban area located in the Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames, in South West London. It is known for its leafy streets, green spaces, and excellent transport links to central London. Whether you are a homeowner, tenant, or visitor, Surbiton has something to offer for everyone.
In this guide, we will explore everything you need to know about Surbiton, including its history, education, amenities, and things to do in the area.
History of Surbiton
Surbiton has a rich and diverse history that dates back to the Saxon period. The area was originally a small village, but it gradually developed into a residential district in the 19th century.
During the 20th century, Surbiton became a popular commuter town, with many residents travelling to central London for work.
Today, Surbiton is a thriving and diverse area, with a strong sense of community and a rich cultural heritage.
Education in Surbiton
Surbiton has a range of educational institutions that cater to the needs of students of all ages. The area has several primary schools, including St. Andrew's and St. Mark's CofE Junior School and Lime Tree Primary School.
There are also several secondary schools in the area, including Hollyfield School and Coombe Girls' School. For those looking for higher education, Kingston University is located nearby and offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
Amenities in Surbiton
Surbiton has a range of amenities that cater to the needs of residents and visitors. There are several parks and green spaces in the area, including Alexandra Park and Fishponds Park, which provide opportunities for outdoor activities and relaxation.
Surbiton is also known for its excellent transport links, with regular trains to central London from Surbiton railway station. There are also several shops and restaurants in the area, including the popular Maple Road, which offers a range of independent shops and cafes.
Crime and safety in Surbiton
Like any other area in London, Surbiton has its share of crime. However, the area is generally considered safe, with a lower crime rate than many other areas in London.
It is advisable to keep your valuables out of sight and ensure that your home is secure, especially when you are away.
The local police force, Metropolitan Police Service, is committed to keeping the area safe and works closely with the community to prevent crime.
Renting and letting property in Surbiton
Surbiton is a popular area for renters, with a range of properties available to suit different budgets and lifestyles. The average rent for a one-bedroom flat in the area is around £1,200 per month, while a two-bedroom flat can cost around £1,800 per month.
There are also several houses available for rent, with prices ranging from £2,000 to £5,000 per month. If you are looking to let your property in Surbiton, there are several estate agents in the area who can help you find tenants and manage your property.
Things to do in Surbiton
Surbiton has a range of activities and attractions that cater to different interests. Here are some of the top things to do in the area:
- Hampton Court Palace: This historic palace is located nearby and offers a range of exhibitions, events, and tours, as well as beautiful gardens and a maze.
- Thames Ditton Island: This picturesque island is located on the River Thames and offers opportunities for boating, fishing, and picnicking.
- Surbiton Farmers' Market: This weekly market offers a range of fresh and locally-sourced produce, including fruit, vegetables, meat, and baked goods.
- The CornerHOUSE: This community arts centre hosts a range of events and exhibitions, including theatre performances, art shows, and music concerts.
- Surbiton Golf Club: This golf club offers a challenging 18-hole course, as well as a range of facilities and services for members.
- The Antelope: This historic pub offers a range of real ales, wines, and spirits, as well as a menu of classic pub food.
- Fishponds Park: This large park offers a range of outdoor activities, including tennis, football, and basketball. It also has a children's playground and a skate park.
- Surbiton Hockey Club: This hockey club offers a range of teams and coaching sessions for players of all ages and abilities.
- Kingston Museum: This museum showcases the history and culture of Kingston upon Thames, with displays and exhibits dating back to the Roman period.
In conclusion, Surbiton is a suburban area in South West London, with a strong sense of community and a range of activities and attractions for residents and visitors. Whether you are looking for a place to live, work, or visit, Surbiton has something to offer for everyone.
Is Surbiton a nice area?
Surbiton is generally considered a nice area, with a mix of residential and commercial properties, good transport links, and a range of amenities.
The area is known for its friendly community and beautiful green spaces, including Alexandra Park and Fishponds Park.
Is Surbiton an affluent area?
Surbiton is often considered an affluent area, with a higher-than-average median income and a range of expensive properties.
The area is home to a mix of young families and older residents, many of whom work in professional or managerial roles.
What famous people live in Surbiton?
Surbiton has been home to a number of famous people over the years, including musician David Bowie, actor Tom Hardy, and comedian Harry Hill.
What is the average age in Surbiton?
The average age in Surbiton is around 38 years old, with a mix of younger families and older residents.
What is Surbiton famous for?
Surbiton is perhaps most famous for its association with the TV show "The Good Life," which was set in the area. The show depicted a couple who tried to live a self-sufficient lifestyle in Surbiton.
The area is also known for its beautiful green spaces, including Alexandra Park and Fishponds Park.
Does Surbiton have a tube station?
Yes, Surbiton has a tube station, which is served by the District Line and provides easy access to central London.