STAY IN THE LOOP
Get the latest landlord news
Plaistow area guide
Plaistow is a vibrant and diverse area located in East London, within the London Borough of Newham. Known for its excellent transport links, strong sense of community, and rich cultural heritage, Plaistow has much to offer homeowners, tenants, and visitors alike.
In this comprehensive guide, we will explore everything you need to know about Plaistow, including its history, education, amenities, and things to do in the area.
History of Plaistow
Plaistow has a fascinating history that dates back to the 12th century when it was originally a small rural settlement.
The area underwent significant development during the 19th and 20th centuries, with the arrival of the railway and the growth of industry leading to the construction of housing estates and the development of a thriving urban community.
Today, Plaistow is a bustling and diverse area, with a range of residential properties, retail outlets, and leisure facilities.
Education in Plaistow
Plaistow offers a range of educational institutions catering to students of all ages. The area is home to several primary schools, including Plaistow Primary School, Southern Road Primary School, and Lathom Junior School. There are also several secondary schools in the area, such as Plashet School, Brampton Manor Academy, and Eastlea Community School.
For those seeking higher education, Plaistow is within easy reach of several universities and colleges, including the University of East London, Queen Mary University of London, and Newham College.
Amenities in Plaistow
Plaistow boasts a range of amenities catering to the needs of residents and visitors. The area is home to several parks and green spaces, including Plaistow Park, West Ham Park, and Newham Leisure Centre Park, providing opportunities for outdoor activities and relaxation.
Plaistow is also known for its bustling high street, which offers a diverse range of shops, restaurants, and bars.
Crime and Safety in Plaistow
Plaistow is generally considered a safe area, with crime rates lower than the London average. However, as with any urban area, some neighbourhoods may be more prone to crime than others. It is advisable to be cautious and ensure that your home is secure, especially when you are away.
The local police force, the Metropolitan Police Service, is committed to keeping the area safe and works closely with the community to prevent crime.
Renting and Letting Property in Plaistow
Plaistow offers a diverse range of properties to suit different budgets and lifestyles. The average rent for a one-bedroom flat in the area is around £1,000 per month, while a two-bedroom flat can cost around £1,300 per month. Houses are also available for rent, with prices ranging from £1,500 to £2,200 per month.
If you're looking to let a property in Plaistow, it's important to choose a reputable letting agent or property management company to ensure that your property is well-maintained and your tenants are happy.
Things to Do in Plaistow
Plaistow has a range of activities and attractions catering to different interests. Here are some of the top things to do in the area:
- Plaistow Park: Plaistow Park is a beautiful and well-maintained park, located in the heart of Plaistow. The park features a playground, sports facilities, and picturesque gardens, making it a popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts and families alike.
- West Ham Park: West Ham Park is a large and picturesque park, located in Plaistow. The park offers a range of walking trails, sports facilities, and stunning views of the surrounding area, making it a popular destination for nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts.
- Newham Leisure Centre: Newham Leisure Centre is a popular and well-equipped sports facility, located in Plaistow. The centre offers a range of activities, including swimming, gym facilities, and fitness classes, making it a popular destination for sports enthusiasts and those looking to keep fit.
- The Theatre Royal Stratford East: The Theatre Royal Stratford East is a historic and well-regarded theatre, located a short distance from Plaistow. The theatre hosts a diverse range of productions, including plays, musicals, and children's shows, providing an excellent opportunity for visitors to enjoy the best in live entertainment.
- The House Mill: The House Mill is a fascinating and historic mill, located near Plaistow. The mill offers guided tours and the opportunity to learn about the history of milling and the local area, making it a popular destination for history buffs and those interested in industrial heritage.
- Discover Children's Story Centre: Discover Children's Story Centre is a unique and interactive museum, located near Plaistow. The centre offers a range of exhibits and activities designed to inspire children's love of reading and storytelling, making it a popular destination for families.
Plaistow is a thriving and diverse area in East London, offering a range of amenities, educational institutions, and leisure activities for homeowners, tenants, and visitors. With its rich history, strong sense of community, and excellent facilities, Plaistow is an ideal place to live, work, or visit.
Is Plaistow a nice area?
Plaistow is an ever-evolving district in East London with a diverse cultural mix, rich history, and great local amenities. It's recognized for its welcoming neighborhood feel, affordability, and convenient transport links, enhancing its appeal as a residential area.
Is Plaistow in London or Essex?
Plaistow is a district in the East End of London, specifically in the London borough of Newham. It's not situated in Essex, although there's also a village named Plaistow in West Sussex.
What is Plaistow famous for?
Plaistow is famous for its rich industrial history, cultural diversity, and for being the original home of West Ham United F.C. Its unique blend of urban living and cultural heritage adds to its distinct character.
What zone is Plaistow in London?
Plaistow is located in Travelcard Zone 3 on the London Underground's District and Hammersmith & City lines. Its well-serviced transport connections facilitate easy access to Central London and neighboring cities.
What is it like living in Plaistow?
Living in Plaistow offers a genuine and diverse community experience with strong cultural roots. It provides the convenience of urban living — replete with amenities, transportation, and local shops — while maintaining its own distinct, neighborhood charm.