STAY IN THE LOOP
Get the latest landlord news
Orpington area guide
Orpington is a suburban area located in South East London, within the London Borough of Bromley. Known for its excellent transport links, strong sense of community, and beautiful green spaces, Orpington has much to offer homeowners, tenants, and visitors alike.
In this comprehensive guide, we will explore everything you need to know about Orpington, including its history, education, amenities, and things to do in the area.
History of Orpington
Orpington has a long and fascinating history that dates back to the Stone Age. The area was originally a small rural settlement, which grew steadily over the centuries, with the arrival of the railway in the 19th century contributing to its development as a thriving suburban area.
Today, Orpington is a bustling and diverse community, with a range of residential properties, retail outlets, and leisure facilities.
Education in Orpington
Orpington offers a range of educational institutions catering to students of all ages. The area is home to several primary schools, including Warren Road Primary School, St James' Roman Catholic Primary School, and Farnborough Primary School.
There are also several secondary schools in the area, such as Darrick Wood School, St Olave's and St Saviour's Grammar School, and Newstead Wood School.
For those seeking higher education, Orpington is within easy reach of several universities and colleges, including the University of Greenwich, Ravensbourne University London, and Bromley College.
Amenities in Orpington
Orpington boasts a range of amenities catering to the needs of residents and visitors. The area is home to several parks and green spaces, including Priory Gardens, Goddington Park, and High Elms Country Park, providing opportunities for outdoor activities and relaxation.
Orpington is also known for its bustling high street, which offers a diverse range of shops, restaurants, and bars.
Crime and Safety in Orpington
Orpington is generally considered a safe area, with crime rates lower than the London average. However, as with any urban area, some neighbourhoods may be more prone to crime than others. It is advisable to be cautious and ensure that your home is secure, especially when you are away.
Renting and Letting Property in Orpington
Orpington offers a diverse range of properties to suit different budgets and lifestyles. The average rent for a one-bedroom flat in the area is around £900 per month, while a two-bedroom flat can cost around £1,200 per month. Houses are also available for rent, with prices ranging from £1,300 to £2,200 per month.
If you're looking to let a property in Orpington, it's important to choose a reputable letting agent or property management company to ensure that your property is well-maintained and your tenants are happy.
Things to Do in Orpington
Orpington has a range of activities and attractions catering to different interests. Here are some of the top things to do in the area:
- Priory Gardens: Priory Gardens is a beautiful and well-maintained park, located in the heart of Orpington. The park features a playground, sports facilities, and the historic Orpington Priory, making it a popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts and history buffs alike.
- Goddington Park: Goddington Park is a picturesque park, located in Orpington. The park offers a range of walking trails, sports facilities, and stunning views of the surrounding countryside, making it a popular destination for nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts.
- High Elms Country Park: High Elms Country Park is a beautiful park and nature reserve, located in Orpington. The park offers a range of walking trails, wildlife spotting opportunities, and a diverse range of habitats, making it a popular destination for nature enthusiasts.
- The Walnuts Leisure Centre: The Walnuts Leisure Centre is a popular and well-equipped sports facility, located in Orpington. The centre offers a range of activities, including swimming, gym facilities, and fitness classes, making it a popular destination for sports enthusiasts and those looking to keep fit.
- Orpington Golf Centre: Orpington Golf Centre is a popular golf facility, located in Orpington. The centre offers an 18-hole golf course, a driving range, and golf lessons, making it a popular destination for golf enthusiasts of all skill levels.
- Orpington Odeon Cinema: The Orpington Odeon Cinema is a modern and well-regarded cinema, located in Orpington. The cinema hosts a diverse range of films, including the latest releases, family favourites, and special screenings, providing an excellent opportunity for visitors to enjoy the latest in film entertainment.
Orpington is a thriving and diverse area in South East London, offering a range of amenities, educational institutions, and leisure activities for homeowners, tenants, and visitors. With its rich history, strong sense of community, and excellent facilities, Orpington is an ideal place to live, work, or visit.
Is Orpington in London or Kent?
Orpington is a suburban town located within the London Borough of Bromley in the southeastern part of Greater London. However, its historical roots lie in the county of Kent, leading some to still identify it as such. It exemplifies the harmonious blend of urban and rural living.
Is Orpington a nice area to live?
Orpington is indeed a nice area to live with its suburban charm, quality schools, and good transport links. The area boasts a mix of shopping facilities and green spaces, providing a balance between convenience and tranquility that is sought after by many residents.
Does Orpington come under London?
Yes, Orpington does come under London. Despite its geographical proximity to Kent, it falls under the jurisdiction of the London Borough of Bromley, making it part of Greater London, both administratively and politically.
When did Orpington become London?
Orpington officially became part of London in 1965. This shift occurred as a result of the London Government Act of 1963, which resulted in the creation of Greater London and dissolution of the administrative county of Kent. Orpington was included in the newly formed London Borough of Bromley.