STAY IN THE LOOP
Get the latest landlord news
North Finchley area guide
North Finchley is a vibrant and diverse area located in the London Borough of Barnet, in North London.
With its rich history, excellent amenities, and strong sense of community, North Finchley has something to offer for everyone, whether you are a homeowner, tenant, or visitor.
In this comprehensive guide, we will explore everything you need to know about North Finchley, including its history, education, amenities, and things to do in the area.
History of North Finchley
North Finchley has a long and fascinating history that dates back to the 13th century. The area was originally a small rural hamlet, but it rapidly developed into a bustling suburb following the arrival of the Great Northern Railway in the 19th century.
During the 20th century, North Finchley became a popular area, attracting residents and retailers alike.
Today, North Finchley is still a highly desirable area, known for its exclusive properties and prestigious addresses.
Education in North Finchley
North Finchley has a range of educational institutions that cater to the needs of students of all ages. The area has several primary schools, including Moss Hall Infant School and St. Theresa's Catholic Primary School.
There are also several secondary schools in the area, including The Compton School and Finchley Catholic High School.
For those looking for higher education, North Finchley has several universities and colleges, including Middlesex University and Barnet and Southgate College.
Amenities in North Finchley
North Finchley has a range of amenities that cater to the needs of residents and visitors. There are several parks and green spaces in the area, including Friary Park and Victoria Park, which provide opportunities for outdoor activities and relaxation.
North Finchley is also known for its independent shops and restaurants, including the popular Tally Ho Corner and Ballards Lane.
Crime and safety in North Finchley
North Finchley is generally considered a safe area, with crime rates lower than the national average. However, as with any area, there are some areas that are more prone to crime than others.
It is advisable to keep your valuables out of sight and ensure that your home is secure, especially when you are away.
The local police force, Metropolitan Police Service, is committed to keeping the area safe and works closely with the community to prevent crime.
Renting and letting property in North Finchley
North Finchley is an exclusive area with a range of properties available to suit different budgets and lifestyles. The average rent for a one-bedroom flat in the area is around £1,200 per month, while a two-bedroom flat can cost around £1,800 per month.
There are also several houses available for rent, with prices ranging from £2,500 to £5,000 per month.
If you're looking to let a property in North Finchley, it's important to choose a reputable letting agent or property management company to ensure that your property is well-maintained and your tenants are happy.
Things to do in North Finchley
- North Finchley has a range of activities and attractions that cater to different interests. Here are some of the top things to do in the area:
- Friary Park: Friary Park is a beautiful park located in North Finchley, offering a range of outdoor activities and relaxation opportunities. The park features a playground, a skate park, a café, and a water feature. It's the perfect place to enjoy a peaceful afternoon.
- Artsdepot: Artsdepot is a modern arts centre located in North Finchley, offering a range of performances, exhibitions, and workshops. The venue hosts a variety of events, including theatre, dance, music, and visual arts, making it an important part of the local community.
- The Bohemia: The Bohemia is a popular and lively pub, located in North Finchley. The pub offers a range of drinks and traditional pub food, making it a popular destination for locals and visitors alike.
- Victoria Park: Victoria Park is a small but beautiful park in North Finchley, offering a range of outdoor activities and relaxation opportunities. The park features a playground, a basketball court, and several walking trails.
- The Finchley Lido: The Finchley Lido is a modern leisure centre, located in North Finchley. The centre offers a range of facilities, including a swimming pool, a gym, and a café, making it a popular destination for locals and visitors alike.
- The Phoenix Cinema: The Phoenix Cinema is a historic and independent cinema, located in North Finchley. The cinema offers a range of films, including mainstream releases, independent films, and live events, making it an important part of the local community.
- The North Finchley Bowls Club: The North Finchley Bowls Club is a popular and friendly bowls club, located in North Finchley. The club offers a range of facilities, including a bowling green and a clubhouse, making it a popular destination for locals and visitors alike.
- The North Finchley Library: The North Finchley Library is a modern and well-equipped library, located in North Finchley. The library offers a range of services, including book loans, computer access, and events, making it an important part of the local community.
North Finchley is a charming and diverse area in North London, with a rich history and a range of activities and attractions for residents and visitors.
Whether you are looking for a place to live, work, or visit, North Finchley has something to offer for everyone.
Is North Finchley a nice place to live?
North Finchley is considered a nice place to live, with a variety of housing options, good schools, and a range of amenities.
What is North Finchley famous for?
North Finchley is known for its bustling high street, which features a variety of shops, restaurants, and entertainment venues.
Which area of London is Finchley?
Finchley is located in the London Borough of Barnet, in the northern part of London.
Is Finchley nice to live in?
Finchley, including North Finchley, is generally regarded as a nice area to live in, offering a mix of residential and commercial areas, good schools, and green spaces.
Is Finchley expensive?
Finchley can be considered expensive compared to other areas in London, but it depends on individual budgets and preferences.
What zone is North Finchley?
North Finchley is not directly served by a tube station, but nearby Woodside Park and West Finchley stations are in Zone 4.