STAY IN THE LOOP
Get the latest landlord news
Kentish Town area guide
Kentish Town is a vibrant and diverse area located in North West London, within the London Borough of Camden. Known for its eclectic mix of architecture, rich cultural history, and excellent transport links, Kentish Town has much to offer homeowners, tenants, and visitors alike.
In this comprehensive guide, we will explore everything you need to know about Kentish Town, including its history, education, amenities, and things to do in the area.
History of Kentish Town
Kentish Town has a fascinating history that dates back to the Roman period when it was originally a small rural settlement.
The area underwent significant development during the 19th and 20th centuries, with the construction of Victorian and Edwardian housing estates and the arrival of the railway leading to the growth of a thriving urban community.
Kentish Town became a popular destination for artists, writers, and musicians, who were drawn to its vibrant cultural scene and lively atmosphere. Today, Kentish Town is a bustling and diverse area, with a range of residential properties, retail outlets, and leisure facilities.
Education in Kentish Town
Kentish Town offers a range of educational institutions catering to students of all ages. The area is home to several primary schools, including Kentish Town Church of England Primary School, Eleanor Palmer Primary School, and Torriano Primary School. There are also several secondary schools in the area, such as Acland Burghley School, La Sainte Union Catholic School, and William Ellis School.
For those seeking higher education, Kentish Town is within easy reach of several universities and colleges, including University College London, London School of Economics and Political Science, and the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art.
Amenities in Kentish Town
Kentish Town boasts a range of amenities catering to the needs of residents and visitors. The area is home to several parks and green spaces, including Talacre Gardens, Cantelowes Gardens, and Hampstead Heath, providing opportunities for outdoor activities and relaxation.
Kentish Town is also known for its bustling high street, which offers a diverse range of shops, restaurants, and bars.
Crime and Safety in Kentish Town
Kentish Town is generally considered a safe area, with crime rates lower than the London average. However, as with any urban area, some neighbourhoods may be more prone to crime than others. It is advisable to be cautious and ensure that your home is secure, especially when you are away.
The local police force, the Metropolitan Police Service, is committed to keeping the area safe and works closely with the community to prevent crime.
Renting and Letting Property in Kentish Town
Kentish Town offers a diverse range of properties to suit different budgets and lifestyles. The average rent for a one-bedroom flat in the area is around £1,500 per month, while a two-bedroom flat can cost around £2,000 per month. Houses are also available for rent, with prices ranging from £2,500 to £4,000 per month.
If you're looking to let a property in Kentish Town, it's important to choose a reputable letting agent or property management company to ensure that your property is well-maintained and your tenants are happy.
Things to Do in Kentish Town
Kentish Town has a range of activities and attractions catering to different interests. Here are some of the top things to do in the area:
- Kentish Town City Farm: Kentish Town City Farm is a popular and well-maintained urban farm, located in Kentish Town. The farm offers a range of activities and events, including animal encounters, gardening workshops, and educational programmes, making it a popular destination for families and animal lovers alike.
- The Forum: The Forum is a historic and well-regarded live music venue, located in Kentish Town. The venue offers a diverse range of concerts and events, featuring both local and international artists, providing an excellent opportunity for visitors to enjoy the best in live music entertainment.
- Zabludowicz Collection: The Zabludowicz Collection is a contemporary art gallery, located in Kentish Town. The gallery offers a range of exhibitions and events, showcasing the best in contemporary art, making it a popular destination for art enthusiasts and those looking to discover new talent.
- The Assembly House: The Assembly House is a historic and well-preserved pub, located in Kentish Town. The pub offers a range of drinks and traditional pub food, making it a popular destination for locals and visitors alike.
- Kentish Town Sports Centre: Kentish Town Sports Centre is a popular and well-maintained sports facility, located in Kentish Town. The centre offers a range of activities and facilities, including a swimming pool, gym, and fitness classes, making it a popular destination for those looking to stay active and healthy.
Kentish Town is a thriving and diverse area in North West London, offering a range of amenities, educational institutions, and leisure activities for homeowners, tenants, and visitors. With its rich history, strong sense of community, and excellent facilities, Kentish Town is an ideal place to live, work, or visit.
Is Kentish Town a good neighborhood?
Kentish Town is an excellent neighborhood, offering a unique blend of urban living and community spirit. It is known for its broad range of amenities, including trendy pubs, restaurants, and excellent transport links, making it a desirable location within London.
Which part of London is Kentish Town?
Kentish Town is located in the northwest part of London. It falls within the borough of Camden and embraces a vibrant atmosphere, blending history and modernity.
What is Kentish Town famous for?
Kentish Town is famous for its music scene, with renowned venue The Forum welcoming world-class acts. Its appeal also includes a thriving food scene and the tranquil, yet vibrant Kentish Town City Farm.
What is it like to live in Kentish Town?
Living in Kentish Town provides a unique experience with a rich mix of diverse cultures, excellent amenities, and easy access to the rest of London, all within a strong community-oriented environment.
What zone is Kentish Town in?
Kentish Town falls within the London Transport Zone 2, meaning it's well-connected to the rest of the city and beyond through the Tube network and National Rail. The Kentish Town Tube station services the Northern Line.