STAY IN THE LOOP
Get the latest landlord news
Highgate area guide
Highgate is a charming and affluent area located in North London, within the London Boroughs of Camden, Haringey, and Islington. Known for its stunning architecture, rich cultural history, and excellent transport links, Highgate has much to offer homeowners, tenants, and visitors alike.
In this comprehensive guide, we will explore everything you need to know about Highgate, including its history, education, amenities, and things to do in the area.
History of Highgate
Highgate has a fascinating history that dates back to the Roman period when it was originally a small rural settlement. The area underwent significant development during the 17th and 18th centuries, with the construction of elegant housing estates and the arrival of several notable residents, including poets, artists, and politicians.
Highgate became a popular destination for those seeking a peaceful retreat from the bustling city, and its picturesque surroundings and vibrant cultural scene continue to attract residents and visitors today.
Education in Highgate
Highgate offers a range of educational institutions catering to students of all ages. The area is home to several primary schools, including Highgate Primary School, St Michael's Church of England Primary School, and St Joseph's Roman Catholic Primary School.
There are also several secondary schools in the area, such as Highgate School, Channing School, and La Sainte Union Catholic School.
For those seeking higher education, Highgate is within easy reach of several universities and colleges, including University College London, London School of Economics and Political Science, and the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art.
Amenities in Highgate
Highgate boasts a range of amenities catering to the needs of residents and visitors. The area is home to several parks and green spaces, including Highgate Wood, Waterlow Park, and Hampstead Heath, providing opportunities for outdoor activities and relaxation.
Highgate is also known for its bustling high street, which offers a diverse range of shops, restaurants, and bars.
Crime and Safety in Highgate
Highgate is generally considered a safe area, with crime rates lower than the London average. However, as with any urban area, some neighbourhoods may be more prone to crime than others. It is advisable to be cautious and ensure that your home is secure, especially when you are away.
The local police force, the Metropolitan Police Service, is committed to keeping the area safe and works closely with the community to prevent crime.
Renting and Letting Property in Highgate
Highgate offers a diverse range of properties to suit different budgets and lifestyles. The average rent for a one-bedroom flat in the area is around £1,600 per month, while a two-bedroom flat can cost around £2,300 per month. Houses are also available for rent, with prices ranging from £2,500 to £4,500 per month.
If you're looking to let a property in Highgate, it's important to choose a reputable letting agent or property management company to ensure that your property is well-maintained and your tenants are happy.
Things to Do in Highgate
Highgate has a range of activities and attractions catering to different interests. Here are some of the top things to do in the area:
- Highgate Cemetery: Highgate Cemetery is a historic and picturesque cemetery, located in Highgate. The cemetery is the final resting place of several notable figures, including Karl Marx, George Eliot, and Douglas Adams, making it a popular destination for history enthusiasts and those interested in the lives of famous individuals.
- Highgate Wood: Highgate Wood is a vast and beautiful woodland, located in Highgate. The wood offers a range of walking trails, sports facilities, and a children's playground, making it a popular destination for nature lovers and families.
- Waterlow Park: Waterlow Park is a charming and well-maintained park, located in Highgate. The park offers a range of walking trails, sports facilities, and picturesque gardens, making it a popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts and families alike.
- Lauderdale House: Lauderdale House is a historic and well-preserved house, located in Waterlow Park. The house offers guided tours and the opportunity to learn about the history of the property, making it a popular destination for history enthusiasts and art lovers.
- Highgate Contemporary Art: Highgate Contemporary Art is a well-regarded art gallery, located in Highgate. The gallery offers a range of exhibitions and events, showcasing the best in contemporary art, making it a popular destination for art enthusiasts and those looking to discover new talent.
- Kenwood House: Kenwood House is a historic and well-maintained stately home, located on the edge of Hampstead Heath. The house offers guided tours and the opportunity to learn about the history of the property, making it a popular destination for history enthusiasts and art lovers.
Highgate is a thriving and diverse area in North London, offering a range of amenities, educational institutions, and leisure activities for homeowners, tenants, and visitors. With its rich history, strong sense of community, and excellent facilities, Highgate is an ideal place to live, work, or visit.
Is Highgate a posh area?
Highgate is regarded as one of the posh areas in London. Known for its historic houses, leafy streets, and upscale amenities, it has a reputation for sophisticated living that is much sought after.
What celebs live in Highgate?
Highgate is home to a number of prominent celebs including musician Sting, model Kate Moss, and actor Jude Law. The area's charm and privacy appeal to those in the public eye.
Is Highgate a nice area of London?
Highgate is widely appreciated as a delightful area of London. Its proximity to the city centre, coupled with expansive green spaces, Georgian architecture, and vibrant village atmosphere, make it a cherished part of the city.
Is Highgate worth a visit?
Highgate is certainly worth a visit. From the historic Highgate Cemetery to the inviting Highgate Woods, and the bustling Highgate Village, there are numerous cultural and natural attractions to explore.
Is Highgate a good area to live?
Highgate is not just a good, but a great area to live in. Its top-notch schools, transport links and recreational facilities, along with the tranquillity it provides, make it an ideal residential locale in London.
What is the largest house in Highgate London?
The largest house in Highgate is thought to be Witanhurst, a Victorian mansion sprawling over 90,000 sq ft. It's London's second-largest private residence, only outstripped by Buckingham Palace.