STAY IN THE LOOP
Get the latest landlord news
Harrow on the Hill area guide
Welcome to Harrow on the Hill, a historic and picturesque area located in north-west London. Known for its charming village atmosphere, breathtaking views, and excellent transport links, Harrow on the Hill offers a delightful living experience for homeowners, tenants, and visitors alike.
In this comprehensive guide, we will provide you with all the relevant information you need to know about Harrow on the Hill, including its history, educational options, amenities, crime and safety, renting and letting property, and a selection of exciting things to do.
History of Harrow on the Hill
Harrow on the Hill has a rich history that dates back centuries. The area is named after the prominent hill that rises 100 meters above sea level, offering stunning panoramic views of the surrounding landscape. Historically, Harrow on the Hill was an important coaching stop on the route between London and the Midlands. The famous Harrow School, one of the country's leading independent schools, was founded here in 1572 and further contributed to the area's development. Today, Harrow on the Hill seamlessly blends its historical heritage with modern conveniences.
Education in Harrow on the Hill
Harrow on the Hill is renowned for its exceptional educational institutions. The notable Harrow School continues to provide a prestigious education to its students, maintaining a long-standing tradition of academic excellence. In addition to Harrow School, the area offers a range of excellent primary and secondary schools, including St. Dominic's Sixth Form College, which provides high-quality education and prepares students for university and future careers.
Amenities in Harrow on the Hill
Harrow on the Hill boasts a wealth of amenities to cater to the needs of its residents. The area offers a diverse range of independent shops, boutiques, and local businesses that add character and charm to the community. Whether you're searching for unique gifts, artisanal products, or fashion-forward items, Harrow on the Hill provides a delightful shopping experience.
When it comes to dining, Harrow on the Hill offers a variety of culinary options to suit every taste. From quaint cafes and traditional pubs to international cuisine, there is something to satisfy everyone's palate. Sample authentic Indian dishes at one of the local curry houses or enjoy a relaxing afternoon tea at a charming tea room.
Crime and Safety in Harrow on the Hill
Harrow on the Hill is considered a relatively safe area with a low crime rate. The local police are committed to maintaining the safety and security of residents and visitors. It is always advisable to take basic precautions, such as being aware of your surroundings and securing your property, to ensure personal safety.
Renting and Letting Property in Harrow on the Hill
If you are considering renting or letting property in Harrow on the Hill, you have a range of options to choose from. The area offers a mix of period properties and modern developments, providing a diverse selection for prospective tenants and homeowners. It is recommended to consult with reputable estate agents who specialize in the Harrow on the Hill area to ensure a smooth and successful transaction.
Things to Do in Harrow on the Hill
- Harrow School Museum: Explore the rich history of Harrow School at the Harrow School Museum, which showcases artifacts and exhibits that provide insights into the school's past and present.
- St. Mary's Church: Visit the iconic St. Mary's Church, a Grade I listed building dating back to the 12th century. Marvel at its stunning architecture and enjoy the tranquility of the surrounding churchyard.
- Harrow Hill Golf Course: Tee off at the Harrow Hill Golf Course, an 18-hole course that offers a challenging game amidst scenic surroundings. Whether you're a seasoned golfer or a beginner, the course provides a great opportunity to improve your skills.
- Roxbourne Park and Lake: Take a leisurely stroll or have a picnic at Roxbourne Park and Lake, a peaceful green space with beautiful gardens and a serene lake. It's the perfect spot to unwind and enjoy nature.
- Harrow Arts Centre: Immerse yourself in the vibrant arts scene at the Harrow Arts Centre, which hosts a variety of performances, exhibitions, and workshops. From theatre productions to art displays, there is always something exciting happening at this cultural hub.
Harrow on the Hill offers a unique blend of history, education, amenities, and recreational opportunities. With its picturesque setting, excellent schools, bustling amenities, and an array of things to do, Harrow on the Hill provides a desirable living experience for homeowners, tenants, and a welcoming destination for visitors.
Is Harrow-on-the-Hill a good place to live?
Harrow-on-the-Hill is generally considered to be a pleasant and affluent area of north-west London. It has good transport links, reputable schools, and a variety of local amenities. However, living costs can be higher than other areas outside of London.
What is Harrow-on-the-Hill famous for?
Harrow-on-the-Hill is famous for its historic architecture, including the Grade II listed Harrow School buildings and the iconic St Mary's Church.
Which tube line is Harrow-on-the-Hill?
Harrow-on-the-Hill is located on the Metropolitan line of the London Underground.
What zone is Harrow on the Hill Station in?
Harrow-on-the-Hill Station is located in Zone 5 of the London transport network.