STAY IN THE LOOP
Get the latest landlord news
Hampstead area guide
Hampstead is a picturesque and affluent area located in North West London, within the London Borough of Camden. Known for its stunning architecture, rich cultural history, and excellent transport links, Hampstead has much to offer homeowners, tenants, and visitors alike.
In this comprehensive guide, we will explore everything you need to know about Hampstead, including its history, education, amenities, and things to do in the area.
History of Hampstead
Hampstead has a fascinating history that dates back to the 11th century when it was originally a small rural settlement.
The area underwent significant development during the 18th and 19th centuries, with the construction of elegant housing estates and the arrival of the railway leading to the growth of a thriving urban community.
Hampstead became a popular destination for artists, writers, and intellectuals, who were drawn to its beautiful surroundings and vibrant cultural scene. Today, Hampstead is a bustling and diverse area, with a range of residential properties, retail outlets, and leisure facilities.
Education in Hampstead
Hampstead offers a range of educational institutions catering to students of all ages. The area is home to several primary schools, including Hampstead Parochial Church of England Primary School, New End Primary School, and Christ Church Primary School.
There are also several secondary schools in the area, such as University College School, South Hampstead High School, and La Sainte Union Catholic School.
For those seeking higher education, Hampstead is within easy reach of several universities and colleges, including University College London, London School of Economics and Political Science, and the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art.
Amenities in Hampstead
Hampstead boasts a range of amenities catering to the needs of residents and visitors. The area is home to several parks and green spaces, including Hampstead Heath, Golders Hill Park, and the Hill Garden and Pergola, providing opportunities for outdoor activities and relaxation.
Hampstead is also known for its bustling high street, which offers a diverse range of shops, restaurants, and bars.
Crime and Safety in Hampstead
Hampstead is generally considered a safe area, with crime rates lower than the London average. However, as with any urban area, some neighbourhoods may be more prone to crime than others.
It is advisable to be cautious and ensure that your home is secure, especially when you are away.
The local police force, the Metropolitan Police Service, is committed to keeping the area safe and works closely with the community to prevent crime.
Renting and Letting Property in Hampstead
Hampstead offers a diverse range of properties to suit different budgets and lifestyles. The average rent for a one-bedroom flat in the area is around £1,800 per month, while a two-bedroom flat can cost around £2,600 per month. Houses are also available for rent, with prices ranging from £3,000 to £5,000 per month.
If you're looking to let a property in Hampstead, it's important to choose a reputable letting agent or property management company to ensure that your property is well-maintained and your tenants are happy.
Things to Do in Hampstead
Hampstead has a range of activities and attractions catering to different interests. Here are some of the top things to do in the area:
- Hampstead Heath: Hampstead Heath is a vast and picturesque park, located in Hampstead. The park offers a range of walking trails, sports facilities, and stunning views of the London skyline, making it a popular destination for nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts.
- Kenwood House: Kenwood House is a historic and well-maintained stately home, located on the edge of Hampstead Heath. The house offers guided tours and the opportunity to learn about the history of the property, making it a popular destination for history enthusiasts and art lovers.
- The Hampstead Ponds: The Hampstead Ponds are a series of three large ponds, located on Hampstead Heath. The ponds offer opportunities for swimming and relaxation, making them a popular destination for locals and visitors alike.
- The Freud Museum: The Freud Museum is a fascinating and well-regarded museum, located in Hampstead. The museum offers a range of exhibits and activities designed to explore the life and work of Sigmund Freud, making it a popular destination for those interested in psychology and history.
- Hampstead Theatre: Hampstead Theatre is a popular and well-regarded theatre, located in Hampstead. The theatre offers a diverse range of productions, including new plays, revivals, and adaptations, providing an excellent opportunity for visitors to enjoy the best in theatrical entertainment.
- Keats House: Keats House is a historic and well-maintained museum, located in Hampstead. The museum offers guided tours and the opportunity to learn about the life and work of the poet John Keats, making it a popular destination for literature enthusiasts and history buffs.
Hampstead is a thriving and diverse area in North West London, offering a range of amenities, educational institutions, and leisure activities for homeowners, tenants, and visitors. With its rich history, strong sense of community, and excellent facilities, Hampstead is an ideal place to live, work, or visit.
Is Hampstead a nice part of London?
Hampstead, often hailed as one of London's most charming enclaves, is known for its village-like atmosphere, beautiful Georgian homes, and splendid views from Hampstead Heath. It's a well-loved part of London, boasting a strong sense of community and rich history.
What is Hampstead famous for?
Hampstead is famous for its expansive Hampstead Heath, a green oasis within the city, and a wealth of independent shops, chic cafés, and historic pubs. Cultural attractions such as Keats House and the Freud Museum enhance its renown.
What famous people live in Hampstead?
Hampstead has long been a magnet for celebrities. Notables such as actress Emma Thompson, director Ridley Scott, and musician Liam Gallagher have all made their homes here.
What is the nicest part of Hampstead?
The area surrounding Hampstead Heath is often considered the nicest part of Hampstead. With quaint streets, lush parkland, and panoramic city views, it captures the essence of Hampstead's charm.
Is Hampstead a posh area in London?
Yes, Hampstead is widely recognized as a posh area of London. Its elegant, historic architecture, high-end amenities, and its location within the affluent London Borough of Camden contribute to its upscale reputation.
Is it expensive to live in Hampstead?
As one of London's most desirable areas, living in Hampstead does tend to be more expensive compared to the average London home price. The area's charm, green space, and superior location command premium property prices.
What are the best streets in Hampstead London?
The exclusive Frognal and Fitzjohn's Avenue, renowned for their grand, detached homes, and the historic Flask Walk and Willow Road, lined with charming period properties, are among the best streets in Hampstead.
Who owns Hampstead House?
Several significant properties carry the title "Hampstead House," but if referring to the mansion in Hampstead Heath, it's owned by the City of London Corporation and is part of the Hampstead Heath parkland.