STAY IN THE LOOP
Get the latest landlord news
Chislehurst area guide
Chislehurst is a picturesque and affluent suburb located in South East London, within the London Borough of Bromley. With its rich history, excellent amenities, and strong sense of community, Chislehurst has something to offer for everyone, whether you are a homeowner, tenant, or visitor.
In this comprehensive guide, we will explore everything you need to know about Chislehurst, including its history, education, amenities, and things to do in the area.
History of Chislehurst
Chislehurst has a long and fascinating history that dates back to the Anglo-Saxon period. The area was originally a small rural settlement, but it rapidly developed into a bustling suburb following the arrival of the railway in the 19th century.
During the 20th century, Chislehurst continued to grow, attracting residents and retailers alike.
Today, Chislehurst is still a highly desirable area, known for its exclusive properties and prestigious addresses.
Education in Chislehurst
Chislehurst has a range of educational institutions that cater to the needs of students of all ages. The area has several primary schools, including Red Hill Primary School, Edgebury Primary School, and Coopers School.
There are also several secondary schools in the area, including Chislehurst School for Girls, Bullers Wood School for Boys, and Farringtons School.
For those looking for higher education, Chislehurst is in close proximity to several universities and colleges, including the University of Greenwich and Rose Bruford College.
Amenities in Chislehurst
Chislehurst has a range of amenities that cater to the needs of residents and visitors. There are several parks and green spaces in the area, including Chislehurst Common, Scadbury Park, and Elmstead Woods, which provide opportunities for outdoor activities and relaxation.
Chislehurst is also known for its independent shops and restaurants, including the popular Royal Parade and Chislehurst High Street.
Crime and Safety in Chislehurst
Chislehurst is generally considered a safe area, with crime rates lower than the national average. However, as with any area, there are some areas that are more prone to crime than others.
It is advisable to keep your valuables out of sight and ensure that your home is secure, especially when you are away.
The local police force, Metropolitan Police Service, is committed to keeping the area safe and works closely with the community to prevent crime.
Renting and Letting Property in Chislehurst
Chislehurst is an exclusive area with a range of properties available to suit different budgets and lifestyles.
The average rent for a one-bedroom flat in the area is around £1,000 per month, while a two-bedroom flat can cost around £1,300 per month. There are also several houses available for rent, with prices ranging from £1,500 to £2,500 per month.
If you're looking to let a property in Chislehurst, it's important to choose a reputable letting agent or property management company to ensure that your property is well-maintained and your tenants are happy.
Things to Do in Chislehurst
Chislehurst has a range of activities and attractions that cater to different interests. Here are some of the top things to do in the area:
- Chislehurst Caves: Chislehurst Caves is a fascinating and historical attraction, located in Chislehurst. The caves are a labyrinth of man-made tunnels, stretching over 22 miles. They have been used for various purposes throughout history, including as a chalk and flint mine, an air raid shelter during World War II, and even as a concert venue. Guided tours are available, providing an insight into the history and stories of the caves.
- Scadbury Park: Scadbury Park is a beautiful nature reserve, located in Chislehurst. The park offers a range of walking trails, wildlife spotting opportunities, and stunning views of the surrounding countryside. It's the perfect place to enjoy a peaceful afternoon.
- Chislehurst Common: Chislehurst Common is a popular and well-maintained green space, located in Chislehurst. The common features a playground, sports facilities, and a diverse range of wildlife, making it a popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts.
- Chislehurst Golf Club: Chislehurst Golf Club is a popular and prestigious golf club, located in Chislehurst. The club offers a challenging 18-hole golf course, as well as a clubhouse with excellent facilities, making it a popular destination for golfers and visitors alike.
- The Chislehurst Farmers' Market: The Chislehurst Farmers' Market is a vibrant and bustling market, located in Chislehurst. The market offers a range of goods, including fresh produce, clothing, and homewares, making it a popular destination for locals and visitors alike.
- St. Nicholas Church: St. Nicholas Church is a beautiful and historic church, located in Chislehurst. The church dates back to the 13th century and features stunning architecture and stained glass windows. It's a peaceful and tranquil place to visit, whether you're attending a service or simply admiring the building.
Chislehurst is an attractive and thriving area in South East London, offering a range of amenities, educational institutions, and leisure activities for homeowners, tenants, and visitors. With its rich history, strong sense of community, and excellent facilities, Chislehurst is an ideal place to live, work, or visit.
Is Chislehurst a good area?
Chislehurst is indeed a good area to live in. With its open green spaces, quality schools, and easy access to the amenities of city life in London, it provides a balance of rural charm and urban convenience. The presence of a friendly and welcoming community further enhances its appeal.
Is Chislehurst in London or Kent?
Today, Chislehurst is part of the London Borough of Bromley and is an eastern suburban district of London. However, historically, it was part of Kent and retains a Kent phone code.
Is Chislehurst an affluent area?
Yes, Chislehurst is considered an affluent area. It is known for its high-end properties, quality schools and attractive surroundings, making it a choice location for many families and professionals.
What is Chislehurst famous for?
Chislehurst is famous for the Chislehurst Caves, an intricate network of man-made tunnels extending some 22 miles. The caves have a rich history, having been used for mushroom cultivation and during World War II as an air-raid shelter.
What is Chislehurst like to live in?
Living in Chislehurst is often characterised as peaceful and community-oriented. With a mixture of green spaces for outdoor activities and a high street for shopping and dining, it offers a balanced lifestyle.
What are the best roads to live in Chislehurst?
Some of the best roads to live in Chislehurst include Wilderness Road, Manor Park Road, and Camden Park Road, all known for their beautiful houses and proximity to green spaces.
What county is Chislehurst in?
Chislehurst is located in the county of Greater London. However, it used to be a part of the county of Kent.