STAY IN THE LOOP
Get the latest landlord news
Abbey Wood area guide
Abbey Wood is a vibrant and bustling area located in South East London, within the London Boroughs of Greenwich and Bexley.
With its rich history, excellent amenities, and strong sense of community, Abbey Wood has something to offer for everyone, whether you are a homeowner, tenant, or visitor.
In this comprehensive guide, we will explore everything you need to know about Abbey Wood, including its history, education, amenities, and things to do in the area.
History of Abbey Wood
Abbey Wood has a long and fascinating history that dates back to the Roman times. The area was originally a small rural settlement, but it rapidly developed into a bustling suburb following the arrival of the railway in the 19th century.
During the 20th century, Abbey Wood continued to grow, attracting residents and retailers alike.
Today, Abbey Wood is still a highly desirable area, known for its exclusive properties and prestigious addresses.
Education in Abbey Wood
Abbey Wood has a range of educational institutions that cater to the needs of students of all ages. The area has several primary schools, including Abbey Wood Nursery School, St. Benet's Catholic Primary School, and Alexander McLeod Primary School.
There are also several secondary schools in the area, including St. Paul's Academy, Bexleyheath Academy, and Trinity Church of England School.
For those looking for higher education, Abbey Wood is in close proximity to several universities and colleges, including the University of Greenwich and London South East Colleges.
Amenities in Abbey Wood
Abbey Wood has a range of amenities that cater to the needs of residents and visitors. There are several parks and green spaces in the area, including Lesnes Abbey Woods, Bostall Gardens, and Bostall Heath, which provide opportunities for outdoor activities and relaxation.
Abbey Wood is also known for its independent shops and restaurants, including the popular Abbey Wood Shopping Park and Wilton Road.
There are also several shops and supermarkets in the area, including Sainsbury's, Lidl, and Iceland supermarkets.
Crime and safety in Abbey Wood
Abbey Wood is generally considered a safe area, with crime rates lower than the national average. However, as with any area, there are some areas that are more prone to crime than others.
It is advisable to keep your valuables out of sight and ensure that your home is secure, especially when you are away.
The local police force, Metropolitan Police Service, is committed to keeping the area safe and works closely with the community to prevent crime.
Renting and letting property in Abbey Wood
Abbey Wood is an exclusive area with a range of properties available to suit different budgets and lifestyles. The average rent for a one-bedroom flat in the area is around £900 per month, while a two-bedroom flat can cost around £1,200 per month.
There are also several houses available for rent, with prices ranging from £1,500 to £2,500 per month.
If you're looking to let a property in Abbey Wood, it's important to choose a reputable letting agent or property management company to ensure that your property is well-maintained and your tenants are happy.
Things to do in Abbey Wood
Abbey Wood has a range of activities and attractions that cater to different interests. Here are some of the top things to do in the area:
- Lesnes Abbey Woods: Lesnes Abbey Woods is a beautiful park and woodland area located in Abbey Wood, offering a range of outdoor activities and relaxation opportunities. The park features a playground, sports facilities, walking trails, and a café. It's the perfect place to enjoy a peaceful afternoon.
- Lesnes Abbey Ruins: Lesnes Abbey Ruins is a fascinating historical site located in Abbey Wood, once home to a medieval monastery. Visitors can explore the ruins, learn about the history of the site, and enjoy the beautiful surrounding woodland.
- Abbey Wood Shopping Park: Abbey Wood Shopping Park is a popular shopping destination, located in the heart of Abbey Wood. The shopping park offers a range of shops, restaurants, and entertainment options, making it a popular destination for shoppers and visitors alike.
- Bostall Gardens: Bostall Gardens is a popular and peaceful green space, located in Abbey Wood. The gardens feature a playground, sports facilities, and a diverse range of wildlife, making it a popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts.
- Bostall Heath: Bostall Heath is a large open space located in Abbey Wood, offering opportunities for outdoor activities such as football, cricket, and walking. The heath is a popular destination for locals and visitors looking to enjoy the great outdoors.
Abbey Wood is an attractive and thriving area in South East London, offering a range of amenities, educational institutions, and leisure activities for homeowners, tenants, and visitors.
With its rich history, strong sense of community, and excellent facilities, Abbey Wood is an ideal place to live, work, or visit.
Is Abbey Wood a good area?
Abbey Wood is an up-and-coming area in southeast London, with ongoing regeneration projects, good transport links, and access to green spaces.
Is Abbey Wood expensive?
Compared to other parts of London, Abbey Wood is relatively affordable, but it depends on individual budgets and preferences.
Where is Abbey Wood Underground station?
Abbey Wood does not have an Underground station, but it has an overground railway station, served by the Southeastern and Elizabeth Line.
Which London borough is Abbey Wood in?
Abbey Wood is located in the London Borough of Bexley and the Royal Borough of Greenwich.
What is the crime rate in Abbey Wood?
Crime rates vary over time, but Abbey Wood's crime rate is generally lower than the London average.
What is Abbey Wood known for?
Abbey Wood is known for the Lesnes Abbey Woods, a local nature reserve and the ruins of the 12th-century Lesnes Abbey.